When I left Edward Jones to start my own financial advisory firm in 2012, I knew there would be challenges and opportunities building a business as an independent financial advisor. Building an online presence and using social media to win friends and influence people was part of the plan. I’d also just come through – and won – a FINRA arbitration in a long and nasty battle with Edward Jones. So I needed to work extra hard to clear my good name and mitigate what some uninformed consumers might have easily misunderstood.
Working in tandem with my OSJ and the Cooper McManus team, I set out to do two things:
1. Spark a conversation about wirehouse abuses and help other captive advisors figure out a smart and productive way to go independent
2. Generate a strong online presence using social media, traditional PR and SEO tactics
After creating my brand, setting up my website, and getting a little press on my own, I knew it was time to get professional help. Enter "the marketing maven" Marie Swift, a nationally-known and respected consultant referred to me by my broker/dealer Securities America. Marie and her team have been helping me refine my strategy and accomplish the two goals above for a few months now.
As a result of our work together, Marie Swift (www.impactcommunications.org) and I have been asked to do a "tag team" presentation at the Wealth Management and Marketing Conference being hosted May 16-17, 2014 in Laguna Beach.
See the photo gallery from last year's Surf and Sand event.
In our 50-minute presentation Marie and I will:
· Demystify social media and the new digital reality
· Share strategies for building relationships using digital media and expanding your online presence
· Outline the challenges, opportunities and action steps needed to capitalize on the new frontier
· Provide insights on how to get started if you don’t have any experience, and what to do next if you're already well down the social media path
· Tell how Cooper McManus and Securities America supported my efforts
If you are a financial advisor looking for a new IBD relationship (or if you are currently at a wirehouse and are thinking of going independent), you may qualify to attend this 2-day retreat in Laguna Beach.
Take a quick look at the Agenda.
Just contact Shawn Sandoval at Cooper McManus and tell him you read this blog post by me and he'll visit a bit with you about your current scenario and the Wealth Management and Marketing Conference.
Here's how to reach Shawn:
9870 Research Drive
Irvine, CA 92618
Hope to see you there,
John Lindsey, CFP®